Chantel McAlister is a self taught, accredited professional photographer with the AIPP.
Born and bred in Brisbane, Chantel moved to outback Queensland at 19, her love for the wide open spaces, bush characters and livestock has kept her roots firmly planted in the bush ever since.
It wasn’t until her mid twenties that Chantel had her first taste of a working woolshed at her partners family farm. It was love at first sight for her and she has since made a career in the wool industry for nearly ten years as a woolhandler, woolclasser and most recently graduating as a masterclasser.
With her point and click camera, Chantel documented her life in the shearing industry from 2008, it wasn’t until 2013 when she upgraded her camera and turned her hobby into a profession and started her own photography business – Chantel Renae Photography.
Her daily life working in the woolsheds as a masterclasser and photographer provides her with constant inspiration. With her ancestory being from the land and her present day family all now living in the city, Chantel’s rural photography keeps her well connected to her family heritage.
Chantel’s imagery is quintessentially Australian and she is an advocate for the wool industry. With the industry facing some major struggles in years past, she is determined to showcase and promote Australian wool to the rest of the world the way only she sees it – in a beautiful, honest art form.
Currently touring nationally for her own campaign, The Truth About Wool National Tour 2017/18, Chantel is set to release her first book celebrating the wool industry in 2019.
- August -October: Quilpie Art Gallery, Quilpie Qld
- 15th April – 27th May: Mitchell on Maranoa Gallery, Mitchell Qld
- Permanent exhibition at ‘Shear Outback’, Hay NSW
- 13th June – 19th July: Surat on Ballone Gallery, Surat Qld
- ABC Open Pic of the Year (portrait)
- Royal QLD show
– 2nd colour (restricted)
– 4th monochrome (restricted)
- International Photography Awards (Amateur)
– 2nd Sunsets Category
- ABC Open Pic of the Week
- Farm Weekly 26/04/17: Focus on positive wool yarns
- The Land (newspaper) 18/01/17: Sheep and wool advocate hits the road
- Queensland Country Life (newspaper) 05/01/17: Master woolclasser seeking funding to bring wool industry truths to light. (front cover of the newspaper and Town & Country magazine insert. Featured on homepage of publication website).
- Rural Weekly (newspaper) 12/12/16: Exposing the wool industry’s beautiful truth world-wide
- Weekly Times (newspaper) 24/11/16: The Truth about Wool Tour: Chantel McAlister’s woolly mission
- Graziher magazine Autumn Edition (July) (front cover and feature article)
- Photographic contributor to Evan McHugh’s book ‘The Shearers‘
- Herdingworld magazine Issue 1/2015
- ABC Organic Gardener magazine Jun/Jul 2015
- Border Living magazine Summer Issue
- Graziher magazine 1st Edition (December)
- Beyond the Bale Dec 2014 issue (front cover image)
- Herdingworld magazine Issue 2/2014